Beer and Curry

Saturday 21st July 2012

After all the rain this year, we had a sunny day for this first beer by rail of the year. The first action of note was by the stag group on the train, who were dressing up the stage in women’s clothing. They also had a mankini for the stag later in the day and there seemed to be a certain amount of testing going on, to much mirth all round.

In previous years we had often not strayed far from the Grainstore Brewery in Oakham, but the closure of the kitchens last year had caused us to look at other pubs in the town. This year we decided to allow more time in Oakham so that we could do more exploration. This proved very fruitful as we found some very good places.

After starting with a pint at the Grainstore Brewery, we walked along Station Road to get to the Odd House Tavern, where we had a good lunch and decent beer. We then walked into the market place where we found another very good hostelry, the Lord Nelson. We discovered that there was a beer festival on at the Museum, so we ended our time in Oakham with a drink there.

Bev and Stuart were waiting for us at the station, to join us for our time in Stamford. We started off visiting the All Ssaints Brewery since Alan was keen to verify rumours that is not always closed. And for the first time, it was open, but strangely for a brewery did not have any real ales. So we did not linger long. One new pub in Stamford is the Cosy Club, so we went to have a look at that. We did not stay as it did not seem to have much atmosphere in the large open areas. But the web site says there are some snugs, so it might be worth another look next time.

So the first hostelry we stopped at was the Green Man, where the beer appeared to be being kept a bit better than last time we went. We progressed to the Punch Bowl, just down the road, which had a comfy seating area although some dodgily named beers such a Ginger Tosser!

On leaving the Punch Bowl, there seemed a general peckishment and so we went across the road into the Bombay Cottage, an Indian restaurant, where we had a filling meal. However the time the meal took used up the remaining drinking time in Stamford, and when we had finished it was time to say goodbye to Cathy, Bev and Stuart and to head back to the station.

We were now dependent on the last train and fortunately it turned up. Back in Peterborough we had a final drink at the Draper’s Arms before calling it a night.

Another enjoyable beer by rail day.

Report – Alan